Blog 9

Flipped classrooms are becoming more popular in the age of advanced digital technology. The concept is a very simple: instead of a teacher lecturing during class and assigning traditional homework, the students' homework is to watch or listen to a recorded lecture at home. In class the next, the students can take that time to ask questions, work on group or individual assignments, and deepen their learning. These flipped classrooms can be done in multiple different ways. Some options include closed networks, websites, blogs, and YouTube. Many teachers are still experimenting on the possibilities at hand with these new educational technique. Here is a website that provides a few examples of flipped classrooms: http://flippingclasspedagogyandtools.weebly.com/examples-of-flipped-classes-in-k12-setting.html

The "All Things Open" podcast discusses open education, open content, and open source. Open education is based on making educational experiences available to audiences without having to be affiliated with a school or institution. A number of institutions and universities have course material available for anyone to view for free on the web. This, of course, is not the same as paying money to earn a degree, but it does provide those who are motivated and curious to learn an opportunity to do so without having to spend exorbitant amounts of money. Some e-learning programs like MOOC and OpenCourseSoftware are free to follow, but require you to pay for a certificate. Some open education sources do offer a free certification or a badge. Open content is closely related to copyright. It allows teachers to share their materials and borrow materials under the conditions of either reuse, revise, remix, or redistribute. Open content makes it possible for teachers to use content without having to ask permission or pay the owner of the work. This can definitely be beneficial for teachers who want to enhance their own lectures or lesson plans. This website is the Commons Open Education Resources. It could be very useful to teachers who want to borrow and share documents and lesson plans. It also is allows teachers to evaluate other lesson plans so that the community can improve its content. Here's the link: https://www.oercommons.org/

To be honest, I was dreading both of the PowerPoint assignments, but once I got going on them, they were not that bad and I even enjoyed creating these presentations. In Assignment 5, I liked that I was able to work with the speaker notes section--I had never used that feature before, but I think it's really helpful to have so that all of your information is in front of you without crowding the actual slide and overloading your students with a bunch of text. It also made it easier to record over the PowerPoint for the second part of the assignment. I was able to read from the speaker notes instead of having to memorize the information or write it down elsewhere. The only issue I had with Assignment 5 is that I think I was too worried about the content of my presentation and making sure all of my facts were interesting and correct.
I was expecting Assignment 6 to be more frustrating and difficult than it was. I decided to make a "literary scavenger hunt." One thing I think I did well was that my slides that liked from the wrong answer choice gives information about that wrong answer so that whoever is doing the activity can learn from his or her mistakes in a very productive way, rather than just telling the student, "Sorry, that's wrong. Go back." One thing I would do differently in the future would be to put the text right into the shape with hyperlinked action (in this case, the boxes and the arrows) so that I can just copy and paste them into the slides and it's easier to change the text inside of them. Instead I had the boxes as separate shapes sitting underneath the text box. This caused some formatting issues and was very tedious.

Assignment 5:





















Assignment 6:


Comments

Popular Posts