Blog 3
The Common Core ELA technology standards are coherent enough and easy to follow, even if the standards themselves seem a bit specific and even a bit advanced for the grade levels that they indicate. I do not think I would have much difficulty in teaching students how to consume, interpret, and analyze multimedia literature since I have had a lot of exposure and practice with it myself. I also think I would be good at teaching vocabulary and demonstrating use of context clues with the education I have had in this field already. One standard that I will probably need more practice on in order to teach effectively is using varieties of digital media to express information and to enhance understanding of presentations. While I have tried my hand in this, more practice and trial and error might be necessary to determine what works best for both teacher and students.
Since I would like to teach English at the upper (senior) level, I think it would be beneficial to take advantage of social media websites like Twitter or Facebook to have students demonstrate their ability to navigate the web and to get them engaged in meaningful conversation with each other and with other social groups. It is important in that sort of environment to be aware of the digital citizenship concepts such as students demonstrating "netiquette" in their web interactions, protecting personal information about themselves and others, and communicating in meaningful and appropriate ways that advance the community as a whole. For instance, cyber-bullying is an issue that comes up especially among teenagers, so there would have to be a system in place that works to inhibit mistreatment and harassment of others on the internet. With these concepts in mind, it may be useful to implement more "dedicated" social networking sites aimed at students.
I had a lot of fun doing the Newsletter assignment, even if it was frustrating at times. I knew that the multiple column function was something that could be done on Microsoft Word, but I had never really experimented with it myself before now. It was cool to be able to teach my self how to use that and format the sections of my newsletter in an aesthetically-pleasing way. I also figured out how to insert a continuous break on the page so that my permission slip at the bottom could be one column. It was a bit tricky to fit everything I needed to in the allotted two pages--I had to work with the font size, the spacing, and the wrap settings of the pictures and text boxes. I really liked that we got to choose our own subject and grade level: I think this gave an opportunity to explore what we might be doing in our own classes in the future. Since I want to teach at the upper high school level, as mentioned previously, a newsletter may be utilized as a way to keep both students and parents in the loop of what to expect in the class. The one I made was designed and written to appeal to the parents and students--it would be something I could distribute to both parties.
Here's what my newsletter looks like! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1XlGevP3YkNMmpzZmJuQXFHRzg/view?usp=sharing
Since I would like to teach English at the upper (senior) level, I think it would be beneficial to take advantage of social media websites like Twitter or Facebook to have students demonstrate their ability to navigate the web and to get them engaged in meaningful conversation with each other and with other social groups. It is important in that sort of environment to be aware of the digital citizenship concepts such as students demonstrating "netiquette" in their web interactions, protecting personal information about themselves and others, and communicating in meaningful and appropriate ways that advance the community as a whole. For instance, cyber-bullying is an issue that comes up especially among teenagers, so there would have to be a system in place that works to inhibit mistreatment and harassment of others on the internet. With these concepts in mind, it may be useful to implement more "dedicated" social networking sites aimed at students.
I had a lot of fun doing the Newsletter assignment, even if it was frustrating at times. I knew that the multiple column function was something that could be done on Microsoft Word, but I had never really experimented with it myself before now. It was cool to be able to teach my self how to use that and format the sections of my newsletter in an aesthetically-pleasing way. I also figured out how to insert a continuous break on the page so that my permission slip at the bottom could be one column. It was a bit tricky to fit everything I needed to in the allotted two pages--I had to work with the font size, the spacing, and the wrap settings of the pictures and text boxes. I really liked that we got to choose our own subject and grade level: I think this gave an opportunity to explore what we might be doing in our own classes in the future. Since I want to teach at the upper high school level, as mentioned previously, a newsletter may be utilized as a way to keep both students and parents in the loop of what to expect in the class. The one I made was designed and written to appeal to the parents and students--it would be something I could distribute to both parties.
Here's what my newsletter looks like! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1XlGevP3YkNMmpzZmJuQXFHRzg/view?usp=sharing
Comments
Post a Comment