Blog 6
I think that having a class web page is useful, especially so that parents can stay updated on their students' progress and responsibilities having to rely on (possibly forgetful) students to relay information themselves. Within Potomac High School's website, there is a link to view specific class sites that are run by the teachers. I think it's interesting to not that some of the teacher sites I tried to view did not have any information on them. Most of the ones that did, however, seem to have the same basic information in them. they include a brief teacher bio and an explanation of what the teacher hopes to accomplish with his or her students, a page through which one can contact the teacher, a homework page, a calendar page, and a page for important announcements. Especially notable was a 9th grade English teacher's class page. In this particular teacher's page, her announcement link houses a discussion forum on different topics. Here's a screenshot of that page: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1XlGevP3YkNTV91WVEzeGdjVzA/view?usp=sharing
And here's a link to the main page of that class site: https://potomachs.pwcs.edu/class_pages/english/catherine_lynch/
In all honesty, there is not a type of tool listed in the "Teacher Technology Productivity" podcast that I don't foresee myself using in the future, especially since many tasks like grading, lesson planning, taking attendance, and other classroom management responsibilities are almost required to be done electronically in the evolving Digital Age. The Microsoft Office Suite is something I already use on a virtually every day basis, and I don't see why I would stop using it as a teacher. I think I will also take more advantage of the tools like Google Calendar to communicate important information with students and teachers. I think that the Word processor is something that I will use all the time as a teacher, and I think it will be very helpful in creating templates to digitize lesson plans. I could then save those to something like Google Drive to refer to them following my first year teaching.
The Tech Sandbox in the College of Education is room full of wonderful, interesting gadgets. Out of these, the thing I most readily see myself using in the future as a teacher is the Smart Board. I think that it could be useful in engaging students with things like grammar practice. For instance, I could set up drill where students had to fill in a blank with the correct form of a word, and they would get to do this themselves on the Smart Board. It may also be a good way to project an essay to the class and have them edit, revise, and critique it in order to enhance their own writing skills. One of my favorite pieces of technology that I got to experience firsthand in the Tech Sandbox last week was the virtual reality piece, the HTC Vive. While I'm not sure of any existing application on the device specifically designed for education in English Literature, it would be really neat of students could go one something like a virtual field trip to, for instance, the Globe Theater in London. In the field trip, students could learn about the real place in which Shakespeare's famous plays were performed, and maybe even get to see some of what they would have looked like on the stage. I feel like that could definitely be created with that sort of technology...perhaps I should send a letter to the VR developers.
And here's a link to the main page of that class site: https://potomachs.pwcs.edu/class_pages/english/catherine_lynch/
In all honesty, there is not a type of tool listed in the "Teacher Technology Productivity" podcast that I don't foresee myself using in the future, especially since many tasks like grading, lesson planning, taking attendance, and other classroom management responsibilities are almost required to be done electronically in the evolving Digital Age. The Microsoft Office Suite is something I already use on a virtually every day basis, and I don't see why I would stop using it as a teacher. I think I will also take more advantage of the tools like Google Calendar to communicate important information with students and teachers. I think that the Word processor is something that I will use all the time as a teacher, and I think it will be very helpful in creating templates to digitize lesson plans. I could then save those to something like Google Drive to refer to them following my first year teaching.
The Tech Sandbox in the College of Education is room full of wonderful, interesting gadgets. Out of these, the thing I most readily see myself using in the future as a teacher is the Smart Board. I think that it could be useful in engaging students with things like grammar practice. For instance, I could set up drill where students had to fill in a blank with the correct form of a word, and they would get to do this themselves on the Smart Board. It may also be a good way to project an essay to the class and have them edit, revise, and critique it in order to enhance their own writing skills. One of my favorite pieces of technology that I got to experience firsthand in the Tech Sandbox last week was the virtual reality piece, the HTC Vive. While I'm not sure of any existing application on the device specifically designed for education in English Literature, it would be really neat of students could go one something like a virtual field trip to, for instance, the Globe Theater in London. In the field trip, students could learn about the real place in which Shakespeare's famous plays were performed, and maybe even get to see some of what they would have looked like on the stage. I feel like that could definitely be created with that sort of technology...perhaps I should send a letter to the VR developers.
Comments
Post a Comment