Blog 4
As an avid Twitter user, I find the PLN assignment to be quite habitual for me. I like scrolling through my feed to see what my classmates are saying about education and technologies. It's important for educators to stay updated on the conversations that are taking place within the field, and as society grows more and more comfortable with using social media, I think Twitter provides a great platform with which to do that. Some of the accounts I have been interacting with include institutions like FSU Libraries, FSU Education, and TED-Ed; I have also interacted with a few of my classmates, along with other users who have tweeted about education or education technologies. In the future, Twitter might be helpful in not only providing a way to stay in the loop among professional discourse, but also in encouraging students to participate in some of these discussions.
The term "digital divide," according to the podcast, is used to define the gap between people who do and do not have access to technology. This not only refers to the limited access to technology in developing countries, but also the issue this poses within the United States. The digital divide can cause disparity among students, as those with access to certain technology at home are seen to be at a greater educational advantage than those without it. The divide also works at the school level--some schools are more equipped with advanced technology than others. As a result, students who are less exposed to technology throughout their primary and secondary schooling may be at a disadvantage in a society where technology is so influential in higher education and in the work force. At the very least, students who did not grow up around the latest technologies may be less confident when it comes to having to learn specific technological skills for a job. As a teacher, I know I will need to be sensitive to the digital divide among students. This means being conscious of the kind of homework I assign and whether it requires access to internet or not. I will also need to do my best to expose students to multiple kinds of technology in the classroom so they at least have some level of familiarity with it.
As a prospective high school English teacher, I expect to definitely use academic software for essay rubrics, standards, and things of the like. I might also use some reference software like dictionaries and grammar tools. Academic databases would definitely be helpful in higher grade levels when students have to do research. I think English students and teachers could also benefit from concept-mapping programs. I do not foresee myself using software such as simulations or educational games--these might be used more with younger students or in different subject areas like science. I also do not know if I would use imagining, animation, or illustration software.
The term "digital divide," according to the podcast, is used to define the gap between people who do and do not have access to technology. This not only refers to the limited access to technology in developing countries, but also the issue this poses within the United States. The digital divide can cause disparity among students, as those with access to certain technology at home are seen to be at a greater educational advantage than those without it. The divide also works at the school level--some schools are more equipped with advanced technology than others. As a result, students who are less exposed to technology throughout their primary and secondary schooling may be at a disadvantage in a society where technology is so influential in higher education and in the work force. At the very least, students who did not grow up around the latest technologies may be less confident when it comes to having to learn specific technological skills for a job. As a teacher, I know I will need to be sensitive to the digital divide among students. This means being conscious of the kind of homework I assign and whether it requires access to internet or not. I will also need to do my best to expose students to multiple kinds of technology in the classroom so they at least have some level of familiarity with it.
As a prospective high school English teacher, I expect to definitely use academic software for essay rubrics, standards, and things of the like. I might also use some reference software like dictionaries and grammar tools. Academic databases would definitely be helpful in higher grade levels when students have to do research. I think English students and teachers could also benefit from concept-mapping programs. I do not foresee myself using software such as simulations or educational games--these might be used more with younger students or in different subject areas like science. I also do not know if I would use imagining, animation, or illustration software.
Concept mapping definitely will help students to remember the relationships among words or understand the reading structure.
ReplyDeleteGame-based learning and simulations have a lot of potential and it can be used in English teaching. The design of Duolingo is based on motivating users through a game-like mechanism. Simulation like Second life will enable students to meet virtually and can possibly have an impact on their communication skills.